Saturday, January 28, 2006

Two more examples of why the choice program needs to be fixed

Another school booted from choice

Northside High ousted from voucher program

There are schools like this ALL OVER the north side. There needs to be change. Like I have said before, many choice schools are not better than MPS schools, plus they have no accountability. Choice schools need to be tested and evaluated to see what type of education the kids are getting. See, I actually know what is going on in MPS and choice schools.

When we are talking about well established successful schools, then I can support the program. But as long as we have all these scams going on all over the city, everyone should be against the program.

Here is another story:
Scrutiny heightens in voucher program

Lets not forget this wonderful story about Northside high

In a letter to state officials, Cooper and four other former employees alleged that Brooks padded student counts at the school and refused to allow staff and teachers to call the police if they feared for their safety.

Students "are allowed to get in the staff's face and curse them out, throw items at them, push the teachers, shoot dice, SMOKE MARIJUANA in the hall and bathroom, roll MARIJUANA in class, SMOKE MARIJUANA at the bus stop, destroy items purchased by teachers, and leave school at will," the former teachers and administrators wrote.

At another point in the letter, they added: "Even after suspending, or expelling students Mr. Brooks would always bring them back in and tell us 'That's my money,' 'You (expletive) with my money,' 'Leave these students alone as long as they are not KILLING YOU.' "As a result of the letter, the state's Department of Public Instruction has asked the Milwaukee County district attorney's office to review the letter and possibly investigate Northside. Assistant District Attorney David Feiss said Friday afternoon that he received the letter.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can give you alot more examples of wrong doinngs than that, since I have taught at two of these so called schools. But it looks like no one cares about this topic...

The Game said...

ya, its sad..
This is the ruin of Amercians cities, the failure of liberals and liberal institutions (schools) to help change the climate and success rate of any minority group. The whole inner city is a shame.

Anonymous said...

Geez...it's not that no one cares.

Anonymous said...

OK Game, I haven't read all the links in the post about the voucher schools in WI. I am wondering though if these are basically the same types of schools, that MT calls "alternative schools"? Sounds like these WI voucher schools are operating under the same principles as the MT alternative schools. I have to admit, that I have eagerly left behind the nightmares of the public school systems, long ago, when I decided to send my kids to a private Luthern school...(one of the best in the state, that usually only filthy rich kids get to go to :) And since all my kids have been out of school for quite a while I really haven't been all that eager to get back into the mess of any school situation.
What I do know about the alternative schools here, is that they are a joke. They are just a place to stick JD's in until they 'graduate'. Is that mostly what these voucher schools are used for? From the description of Northside student behaviors, that seems to be the case.
I guess I really should read the other links. It will probably be just one more thing to make me disgusted at the way things are going these days.

The Game said...

Some choice schools are great, but I'm afraid that is a minority. Many are people scamming the system...geting state money and then basically babysitting if the kids are there at all.

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like the Wall Street Opinion Journal is attacking. I don't think you would be happy with what they have to say!

The Education Borg
In Florida and Wisconsin, teachers unions crush educational opportunities.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110007883