Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Beer Pong

Students drawn by game's challenge, but some colleges, fearing binge drinking, want it tabled

I am really putting this up here because one of my friends LOVES this game.
I don't remember anyone playing it when I was in college. Now, when I go to a UW football game it is everywhere.
Colleges need to understand a few things:
1. You have gotten rid of lots of frats, which are actually safer than house parties and drinking in dorm rooms. Yes, binge drinking happens at frat parties, but you also have people in charge and it is happening in someone's actual house. The people running the party do not want people throwing up all over their house, and they have national charters to worry about....so they look out for their guests much better than at a house party, where all they want to do is make money. So they jam in as many people as possible, people get heat stroke, and if the cops are called because of the overflow of people...everyone gets kicked out...
2. So people resort to binge drinking in their room. Drink as much as possible as quick as possible so you don't get caught. I saw MANY people got to the hospital to have their stomach pumped from this, never saw that happen at a frat party.
3. Getting rid of all drinking at one school means kids have to drive to another school.
3. Now kids are finding something fun to do, and really, something that slows down drinking...

Colleges have it all wrong. Their policies promote binge drinking, along with drunk driving...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens if the frats aren't national and have no national charter to worry about?

No one played this at my college, either. We just did keg stands and played in home-made hottubs.

ME

The Game said...

I did that too...are you a DR?

Anonymous said...

Beer pong is no substitute for Flippy Cup. Mostly, I think todays college students are woefully unprepared and immature to engage in hard partying. Not all of them, but too many. Not everyone my age was able, but more were. I wish I could come up with a plausible reason why.

Anonymous said...

Not that I know of, no.

ME

Ron said...

As an (sober for 11+years) alcholic I know how people get sucked into alcholism and how damaging heavy drinking can be on your life. That said you are not going to stop college students from drinking..nor anyone else for that matter if they want to bad enough. Same with smoking...whatever. My libertarian side comes out here. Don't restrict peoples freedom. Lessons are often learned only the hard way but we have all been there when it comes to hard lessons. The good thing about experience and hard lessons is that they are well learned.